Can you stand the HEAT of competition?
The Heat is a “Dragons’ Den” style competition for the Forth Valley region, organised by our Business Gateway Clackmannanshire team with support from Business Gateway colleagues in Falkirk and Stirling. HEAT stands for Highlighting Entrepreneurship All Together.
With an aim of helping the economic development of Forth Valley, the competition is strictly for local businesses with less than a year of trading at the time of The HEAT final, or entrepreneurs who have a new idea that they are hoping to develop into a successful business
Over the last 7 years Ceteris, Business Gateway Clackmannanshire and our sponsors have given away £33,000 worth of prizes to the winners and finalists to help them grow and develop their business.
- The current champion is Alyson Belli, founder of Murrelli who was pitch perfect as she detailed plans of her upcoming clothing range for breast feeding mothers.
- 2nd place went to the recyclers at The Bottle Genies and
- 3rd was Rags and Tails, offering soft furnishings and repairs.
The sheer diversity of businesses that apply highlights just exactly how vibrant our local economy is.
Previous winners have included a golf rewards app, a manufacturer of bespoke children’s furniture, a bridal wear company, a drone videographer and an inventor of magnetic post-it notes, bespoke chocolate producer, dog trainer, jam makers and many more.
How does it work?
Businesses are asked to apply via a straightforward application process of only a few questions.
- Provide details about your amazing new idea or new business, include what makes your idea/business different?
- Who is your target market?
- If you were to win one of the top prizes how would you utilise them to enhance your business?
- Investors tend to invest in people (as well as business ideas) why should you win the prize money?
- Has your idea been developed or business started due to the Covid-19 pandemic?
Criteria to enter this competition is as follows:
- You must have an idea that you want to turn into a business or you have a recent start-up business trading for less than a year (as at March 2021).
- Your business will be or is based in the Forth Valley area (Clackmannanshire, Stirlingshire or Falkirk).
Successful entrants are then asked to the practice pitch day (essentially the semi-final) on the 18th March 2021 (more than likely online) where they can meet the other entrants, gain presentation tips and get to know the Business Gateway staff. From here a Top 10 are picked to go forward into the final, held on the 25th March 2021 (more than likely via Zoom due to the current restrictions in place), to give their 3 minute pitch to our dragons!
If you would like further information on #THEHEAT21, please contact us at Business Gateway Clackmannanshire on email@example.com or by calling the local office on 01259 726430.
Share on social media using #TheHEAT21.
The Heat Final is usually an integral part of Clacks Business Week. However, 2020/21 has been slightly different and the two are being run separately for 2021.
£1000 worth (3 days) of Marketing and/or Digital Support – Sponsored by Ceteris (Scotland) Ltd
£350 worth (1 day) of Marketing Advice and Support – Sponsored by Perfect Penny Marketing
£750 worth of Accounting, Tax, Book Keeping and Consultancy Services for one year – Sponsored by Arm in Arm Accounting
£1000 worth of IT Support (advice / training / social / web / drone / video editing / lab time with 3d printing & laser engraving) valid for 6 months – Sponsored by STEP (3 days)
£1000 worth of HR Support valid for 6 months – Sponsored by STEP (3 days)
£500 cash – Sponsored by University of Stirling Management School
£180 worth (4 hours) of Marketing Advice and Support – Sponsored by Perfect Penny Marketing
£500 worth of Accounting, Tax, Book Keeping and Consultancy Services for one year – Sponsored by Arm in Arm Accounting
£350 worth of IT Support (advice / training / social / web / drone / video editing / lab time with 3d printing & laser engraving) – Sponsored by STEP (1 day)
£350 worth of HR Support – Sponsored by STEP (1 day)
Top 10 Finalists
6 months FREE access (Flexible Package) to the Ceteris brand new flexible working space, Station Central at the e-centre in Alloa – a flexible working environment for the local business and start-up community.